The Bauer Boucher Playwriting Award
Recognizing the work of Kean University’s playwrights.
The Bauer Boucher Playwriting Award, established in 2014 by Premiere Stages supporters W. John Bauer and Nancy Boucher, recognizes the work of one playwright each year from the Kean University student and alumni community. The Bauer Boucher Award supports Kean University writers with enhanced visibility, dramaturgical feedback, a cash award, and the opportunity to hear their play read out loud by an ensemble of professional actors.
Premiere Stages accepts submissions for the Bauer Boucher each fall from any writers who are currently attending or have graduated from Kean University, and the Award-winning play is selected in January. After the submission window closes in December, the submissions are read by Premiere Stages staff and a select panel of playwrights, theatre professionals, and educators. The winning playwright receives a one-day developmental reading of a new play with a professional cast and director, an encore performance at a local community organization, and an award of $2000. Additional playwrights may be selected as finalists and awarded $100.
The 2018 Bauer Boucher Award Guidelines are available in PDF format!
- Playwrights must be current students in good academic standing or graduates of Kean University.
- Plays must be unpublished and have never received a professional production.
- Scripts must be one-acts, full-length, or solo shows.
- Scripts that are incomplete must contain at least 25 pages and attach a scene breakdown for the entire play.
- Previous script winners & script finalists are ineligible.
- Playwrights must be available for the development of their script (see schedule).
- Submissions are accepted November 15, 2018 through 11:59 p.m. on December 15, 2018.
- All plays must be submitted as a PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies will not be accepted.
Submissions must include:
- Brief synopsis of the play (no more than half a page).
- Character breakdown.
- The playwright’s bio or resume.
- Script (or as much of the script that is currently written & scene breakdown of full play).
Questions? Email Producing Associate Courtney Little at email@example.com